(Storm, the dog, in front of the Carroll Mansion Museum, 1128 Fifth Ave., Leavenworth, KS)
The Bogner Home, 1300 2nd Ave. , Circa 1877
This house was built on land originally owned by Gen. John Adams Halderman, a lawyer, who came to the Kansas Territory in 1854. He was the private secretary to the territory’s first governor, Andrew H. Reeder and later was elected as Leavenworth County’s first probate judge. Subsequent owners of the property included a German immigrant, carpenters and builders, prior to the 50 year residence of John & Louise D. Crume. This comfortable wood frame house features the traditional Victorian two-story front window nook and expansive porch. The brick pedestals and columns are in keeping with neighboring homes that face an adjacent park. The house remained vacant for 10 years while the Kaminski family completely renovated it with new woodwork complimenting old, tongue and groove ceilings, and period light fixtures throughout the house.
Dawes-Frank Home, 420 Arch, Circa 1910-1915
This Colonial Revival home has a classic center hall design. It was built by Louis Vanderschmidt, a local merchant. The home then passed to Judge Joseph J Dawes, to whom the house is dedicated. Other previous owners include Louis Smith of Smith’s Rexall Drug Store and COL (Ret) John and Emily Sapp. Emily Sapp owned and operated the Carriage House Gift Shop in Leavenworth for many years. LTC (Ret) Robert and Robin Frank purchased the home in 1999 and have undertaken many remodeling projects over the years including the kitchen, three bathrooms, the garage, fencing, fireplaces and a custom cherry office by local craftsmen Roger White and Mike Fulmer. The Frank’s latest project has been to convert the western side porch from a screened room to a four season room off of the formal living room.
The Deane Home, 219 Pine, Circa 1914
This Craftsman-style house with brick veneer on the first story and wood-shingle on the second story features a hip roof with a hipped roof ventilation dormer. The front porch has a gabled roof and is constructed of irregular red and vitrified brown brick with square-section pillars linked by a brick railing with a concrete coping. A bay window rises on the west with a trapezoid-plan. The batten shutters have candle cut-outs. Between 2000-2005, a new bathroom was added to the master bedroom, complete with a claw-foot bathtub to fit with the house’s historical motif. Additionally, carpeting was removed and the original hardwood floor was restored throughout a majority of the house. Over the years, the house has gained an international flavor with an antique chandelier in the dining room from Prague and radiator covers made from a repurposed Japanese wood carving.
South Broadway Guest House, 700 S. Broadway, Circa 1870
The South Broadway Guest House is a two story Victorian-era house of brick construction, graced with a wrap-around porch. The house has enjoyed longevity of family ownership and was once the home of the B. C. Clark family, a wholesale merchant on Delaware Street. In 1915, Hubert Tullock purchased the home for his family. He was president of Leavenworth Savings and Trust Company. Purchasing the home in 1965, Robert and Eileen Welch lived here for more than 40 years. In November of last year, the Derezinski’s purchased the home and began major renovations, giving the home new life. Holiday breads will be offered for sale at this location.
The Kem House, 504 Grand, Circa 1892
This Victorian mansion was built for the Frederick Wulfekuhler family. A German native immigrating to this country in 1855 at the age of 14, Wulfehuhler entered employment with Rohfling and Company, which outfitted settlers moving west and shipped buffalo hides east. Later the company was exclusively a wholesale grocery business. The ten room house is of brick with double-walled construction. Originally it was situated on two acres with an apple orchard and grape arbor. The estate was sold to the Pritchett family in 1950, who opened the Skyview Supper Club there that same year. The Niemann’s purchased the restaurant in 1976 and built a world-wide reputation as the place to go for celebrating special occasions in Leavenworth. Three years ago, the Kems purchased this home as a single residential dwelling. Architectural features of the house include four original tiled fireplaces, tin ceilings in the upper and main hallways, a handsome oak staircase, and lovely stained glass windows in the front entry.
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Seventh & Miami Streets, Circa 1911
St. Paul Lutheran Church was chartered in March 1862. The present church was dedicated in 1911 and is actually the third structure for the congregation at this location. The current building was designed by local architect, W. P. Feth, and constructed by R. F. Yoakum. It is of the Romanesque style using red vitrified brick and cut Phoenix stone. The foundational work, as well as the finishing work, exemplifies the capable artisans present in Leavenworth. Highlights of the church include the flooring, altar with gold leaf trim, decorative elements of oil and fresco, opalescent art glass memorial windows, and the circular oak pews. The large stained glass window on the north depicting the angels’ proclamation of the Savior’s birth was selected and photographed by Hallmark Cards, Inc. for use as a Christmas card in 1982. More than a half million copies were made. During its 101 years of existence, the current church building has undergone numerous renovations and a few additions. The congregation is pleased to have tour goers celebrate with them the 150th anniversary of their church.
St. Paul’s School, Seventh & Osage Streets, Circa 1937
St. Paul Lutheran School was founded in 1863 by Rev. Michael Meyer (Meier). Classes were held in the sanctuary until June, 1894, when the Osage Street School was purchased from the city of Leavenworth. By 1935 the building was no longer considered safe or adequate in size. A new, modern school and parish house was built by Julius Kaaz, Jr., a member of the congregation and dedicated April 1937. The exterior of the new school used “modern” motifs of red brick walls and light-colored stone trim with entrances on Osage and Seventh Streets. On the bottom floor were two social rooms, a kitchen, an auditorium, a stage and two dressing rooms. The second floor contained three standard classrooms and a combination library and meeting room. An addition was added in 1963 providing the school with nine classrooms. In 2000 due to increased enrollment, two modular classrooms were added. In 2010, a capital campaign effort called ‘Making the Upgrade’ updated floors, windows, ceiling tiles and walls.
Her’s how to get your tickets!
Tour tickets are available for $12 in advance or $17 the day of the tour, at the museum, (682-7759 , 1128 Fifth Ave.), Ginny’s Antiques, June’s Cottage, Candle Queen, 5th Avenue Frames, Dormail, Ashers, The Pot Rack, and the Leavenworth Antique Mall. Tickets purchases on tour day may be made at the museum or any of the homes on the tour. Ticket price is a tax-deductible donation to the Leavenworth County Historical Society. Local restaurants will be open on tour day for the convenience of tour goers and are noted in the tour ticket.
Don’t miss this Leavenworth tradition!!!