Once again Leavenworth will celebrate Buffalo Bill Cody Days this September 14th & 15th , in bringing back the good ole’ days when the whole town paid tribute to Cody as its native son. 2011 was the first year marking the return of BBC Days, since back in the mid-1980s, when the festivities fizzled out, after a twenty-five year run. While many longtime residents are aware of the Cody presence in Leavenworth County way back in the day, most folks are surprised when they learn of it. While not actually born here, William F. Cody came to Leavenworth County with his family, in 1854, at the age of 8. Settling in the beautiful Salt Creek Valley, Cody’s father, Isaac provided hay for Fort Leavenworth and traded with the Indians. Isaac Cody was accepted as “sound on the goose” because he was known as the brother of slaveholding Elijah Cody, over in Missouri. However, Isaac’s true stand on slavery was soon revealed when persuaded to speak before a crowd gathered at Riveley’s Tavern in the Valley. The stab wound he received as a consequence would later label him as the first casualty of “Bleeding Kansas”. For the next two years the Cody family became targets for violence from the pro-slavery faction. Isaac consequently founded “Grasshopper Falls” (present day Valley Falls) and to avoid being murdered, was only able to make periodic visits to his family in the Salt Creek Valley. Mrs. Mary Cody was insistent that she would not be run off her property by what were known then as the “Kickapoo Rangers”, who relentlessly tormented the family by stealing their livestock and burning their hay. When Isaac died in 1857, life became even more of a struggle for the family. Mary began renting rooms in the family home in order to bring in money. Bill’s older sister, Julia milked the cows and tended the farm . Bill became an oxen driver for a neighbor who sold hay in Leavenworth, earning a salary he then turned over to his mother. Thus began the career of William F. Cody. As is the custom, the Leavenworth County Historical Society will offer a special Cody family exhibit at the Carroll Mansion Museum. A couple of years ago, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Cody’s last Wild West Show in Leavenworth, a booklet about the Cody family in Leavenworth County was offered for sale at the museum.. This has been reprinted and is available in the museum gift shop. So, come by the museum at 1128 Fifth Avenue and learn more about the Cody family in Leavenworth County! Visit us on the web: http://www.leavenworthhistory.org
Anna Eliza Osborn Anthony: Wife of Col. D.R. Anthony
Last fall, the Leavenworth County Historical Society at the Carroll Mansion Museum installed an Anthony Family of Leavenworth exhibit. The patriarch of the Leavenworth Anthony family , Daniel Read Anthony, born in Adams, Massachusetts, was the brother of famed suffragist, Susan B. Anthony. History records Col. D.R. Anthony, as he was more commonly known, as perhaps the most colorful character in the history of Kansas journalism. An early resident of Leavenworth, before it became a state, Anthony was also a radical abolitionist, a Civil War soldier, and held numerous public offices, including that of postmaster and mayor of Leavenworth for a number of years. He and the subsequent Anthony line of D.R.s owned and published the Leavenworth Times for nearly 100 years.
What may be of interest to some, especially in the month of March, which is National Women’s History Month, is to know a little something about the woman who shared her life with Col. Anthony during their forty year marriage. When DR married Anna Eliza Osborn on January 21, 1864, in Edgartown, MA, at the Congregational Church by the Rev. H.P. Leonard, he was 39 years old and she 19. Miss Osborn was the daughter of one of the leading ship owners and whaling merchants of Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard. Her father was Captain Abraham Osborn, who had married Eliza Norton and had a large family, for whom he built a stately home that still stands today on Main street in Edgartown, facing the harbor, among the homes of other wealthy sea captains. During the Civil War, his whaleship Ocmulgee, commanded by his son, Abram, was the first Yankee ship to be captured and burned by the Confederate enemy’s prize cruiser, the Alabama.
We are led to believe that the newlyweds originally took residence at the Planter’s House Hotel, overlooking the Missouri River. Calling cards stating such, are part of the Anthony Collection at the Carroll Mansion Museum. Resources note that Anna spent many hours watching from her hotel window the unloading of freight from steamers into the warehouses along the river and subsequent reloading of overland freight wagons out of the same warehouses.
It was not long though until the Anthonys moved to a residential area south of the Planter’s, to a location situated on the bluffs high above the river, on Esplanade Street. The Anthony children were born and raised here, to include Maude (1865-1950), Madge (1867, who died at 5 months of age, while the family visited in Rochester, NY, home of D.R. Anthony’s parents), Susie B. (1872-1889, accidentally drowned in ice skating accident), Annette (1883-1888. Dead at 5 years and just six months after her baby sister’s death), and Daniel Read Anthony, Jr. (1870-1931). Col. Anthony’s sisters, Susan B. and Mary visited often, and another sister, Hannah Anthony Mosher, died here of tuberculosis, in 1877 followed by DR himself in 1904.
In 1865, when DR was seeking another term as mayor, his sister, Susan B. was invited to come share his home in Leavenworth. Upon her arrival, she rejoiced in what she described as the “comfort of DR’s neat, little, snow-white cottage with green blinds.” Susan B. and Anna became fast friends and Susan admired Anna for her “gaiety and the way she fearlessly drove her beautiful black horse across the prairie.”
During her life as an Anthony, Anna was witness to her husband’s life as a stormy figure in Leavenworth and Kansas affairs. Her obituary stated, “His enemies shot at him and tried to mob him, he fought bitter political battles; he was violent in his hatreds and impetuous in his acts. Through all the years of his life, the colonel was respected—and feared. She found herself projected into scenes far more turbulent than any she had witnessed in her girlhood in the quiet little New England town where she was born. At first the young wife of the doughty colonel must have lived in fear that she would not see her husband alive again when he had left their home each day for work. But as time went by she undoubtedly became accustomed to the excitement of being the wife of a newspaper editor who was always prepared to defend his vitriolic editorial with a pistol.”
When Anna attended an elegant reception in February, 1888, given by wealthy banker, Lucien & Julia Scott in their handsome residence on Fifth Avenue, what is now the Carroll Mansion, she was among the list of “ladies in ravishing toilettes” wearing white silk flounced with black Spanish lace, corsage, bouquet of white flowers and diamonds.
A memoriam to Anna, read at the November 2, 1930 meeting of the Saturday Club, the oldest women’s club in Leavenworth, of which she had been a member, described Anna’s gracious manner, beauty, gallant spirit, active mind, and youthfulness, in recalling her connection with Leavenworth’s past history of adventure, bravery, and romance.
Given the events of her life, one might consider further evidence of Anna’s character, found in Ida Husted Harper’s Susan B. Anthony biography, where she writes about Col. Anthony’s appeal for suggestions regarding his will. The Anthony sisters complied by requesting him to leave to his wife a very considerable sum beyond all that he had intended, to replace some of her own money which she had put into his business in previous years.
When Col. Anthony died, at the age of 80, his estate, valued at $300,000 was left to his widow, Anna, and their two surviving children. Anna lived until 1930. The Anthony burial plot at Mt. Muncie Cemetery includes Col. and Anna Anthony, all their children except Madge and Maude, as well as Col. Anthony’s siblings, Hannah Anthony Mosher and Jacob Merritt Anthony. The stately Anthony homes remain habitable residences in Leavenworth to this day.
In addition to several Anthony family photos found in the Everhard Glass Plate Collection at the museum, two portraits are on exhibit of Col. D.R. Anthony and his son, Congressman D.R. Anthony Jr., which are on temporary loan from Dale Brendel, Editor of the Leavenworth Times. For more information about the Anthony family of Leavenworth, contact the Carroll Mansion Museum, 913-682-7759 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Several articles of Rutherford furniture donated in recent years by Madeleine Elise Hare of Topeka, included this Empire period sofa. Many pieces of furniture at the museum have much Leavenworth history behind them, and this piece is no exception. Ms. Hare is the daughter of Constance Rutherford Hare (formerly Constance King Rutherford, daughter of Lucien Baker and Kathryn King Rutherford) and Robert Yates Hare. Lucien Baker Rutherford (1888-1961) was the native born Leavenworthian son of Catharinus Parker & Lydia May Cory Rutherford. Lucien was named after United States Senator Lucien Baker, under whom his father had read law in Leavenworth. His mother, the daughter of J. Davis & Clarissa Fisher Cory, was raised in the farming community of Lowemont, in the northwest corner of Leavenworth County.
On August 22, 1917, Lucien married Kathryn Rosa King, daughter of Adams Potter and Frances Stith King. (A.P. King managed the Home Riverside Coal Co. in Leavenworth from about 1905 to 1910.) Lucien received his law degree and was admitted to the bar in 1910. He served as Leavenworth City Attorney from 1945 to 1947 and retired from active practice in 1959. The Rutherford home, for many years, was at 101 Fourth Ave.
The sofa pictured here was moved with the family from Massachusetts to Ohio in the early 1800s by Hezekiah King, great grandfather of Mrs. Rutherford. It eventually made its home in Leavenworth, having been passed down from generation to generation. Constance inspired Madeleine with the desire to preserve the family heirlooms and share them with those also interested in historical artifacts. In addition to the furniture, photos and extensive Rutherford family history were also acquired by the museum. Stop by soon to see these wonderful additions, as we interpret the history of Leavenworth, preserved by past noteworthy residents.
The Leavenworth Candlelight Vintage Homes Tour is Sunday, December 9, from 1pm to 7pm ! Tour headquarters is here at the museum. In addition to the museum, five vintage homes are featured as well as St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and School, who is celebrating 150 years in Leavenworth. Tickets are $12 prior to tour day & $17 on tour day and are a tax-deductible donation. Come by the museum at 1128 Fifth Ave., or call 913.682.7759 for more information!
A photo of our home, The Carroll Mansion, found on Google!